Have you ever wondered what the differences are between buying a pre-owned device instead or a new device? Have you also wondered if it’s worth it buying pre-owned? If you’re ready to replace your device, you know you’ve got plenty of options. Knowing which kind of device to pick is important, but deciding on how to buy depends on what is most important to you. If you’re considering pre-owned, we are here to share some tips on how to choose a pre-owned device and the quality difference and options for each!
Buying Pre-Owned vs. New
There are several numerous benefits that buying pre-owned phones or devices can give. Some of these benefits, you may not have ever heard or thought about. Others, you might have thought about but didn’t realize how much they impacted the things such as the environment and local business operations. Let’s take an inside look at a few ways that buying pre-owned devices are the better way to go.
Love your environment by recycling
Have you ever thought about your environment and how pre-owned devices and new devices impact the environment? Well, come to find out that not only does buying pre-owned help you and your wallet, but e-waster recycling just so happens to help save the planet. What is e-waste recycling you ask?
- E-Waste recycling is the disassembly or separation of components and materials from electronics. Buy E-Waste recycling, you are essentially reusing parts and components and raw materials of other devices to reduce environmental impact on simply just “dumping” electronics. You are repurposing them for more use for less impact on the environment.
- E-Waste recycling conserves natural resources: Recycling recovers valuable materials from old electronics that can be used to make new products. As a result, we save energy, reduce pollution, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and save natural resources by extracting fewer raw materials from the earth.
- Protects Environment: E-waste recycling provides proper handling and management of toxic chemical substances like mercury, lead and cadmium contained in the e-waste stream.
- Creates Jobs: E-waste recycling creates new jobs for professional recyclers and creates a secondary market for recycled materials.
- Saves Landfills: E-waste recycling saves unnecessary dumps and landfills.
Technology doesn’t change all that fast
With new device and phone releases happening more often than ever, you’d be surprised to discover that all of those cool new features are not necessarily a hefty upgrade. New releases are happening at a more frequent rate, with some device makers releasing new devices 1-2 a year now. Just because the new iPhone has an additional camera, doesn’t mean that the quality is 1,000% better than the previous model, it just means they added another camera. With that in mind, if you know how much technology is really being updated every year, there is no need to continue buying each new model.
Also, think about all of the money that you can save by buying a refurbished/pre-owned device. You skip having to pay for your current phone on a payment plan and then re-extending the payments. That could be anywhere from $400 a year to over $5000 a year for multiple devices. If you really want to upgrade to a newer phone 1-2 times a year, consider buying pre-owned devices. These pre-0wned devices are often a fraction of the cost of brand new devices and have virtually the same features as the newer phones.
New phones are becoming harder to repair
There have been studies done that show products made by Apple, Samsung and Microsoft are among the hardest devices to repair and upgrade and continue to become increasingly hard to do so. It’s been reported that other companies such as Dell and HP are some of the only companies that make spare parts and repair manuals to the public. The products from companies such as Apple, Samsung and Microsoft are now being designed in ways that make it difficult for users to repair. This causes the device’s lifespan to be shortened and adds to the growing pile of E-Waste around the world.
If you need a new device fast, test it before buying
Just like buying new clothes, it’s hard to shop online for something you’ve never used before. If you buy from a local trusted store, the pros and capabilities of a local store usually outweigh buying online. For most device users, buying online often doesn’t stack up against the real device. That’s why we always encourage testing devices and products before you buy them. When buying online, you cannot test them to see if you like them, or if they meet your needs.
How often can you buy a device online and receive it the same day? Not often. In addition to buying in a local store and testing the device, you can also get it the same day. Being able to test and purchase a device the same day ensures you can get your device as soon as possible so you can start using it. You are also helping local small businesses by buying from them and helping them give back to the community.
Buy local and from a reputable seller
So now you know that buying pre-owned devices locally is one of the best ways to go when buying electronics. One additional piece to consider is to make sure to buy from a reputable company. Sure, you can certainly pull up Facebook and look on Offerup to see what is out there. Let’s discuss the difference in short of why reputable is better.
Reasons you should buy from reputable sellers like Jaytronixx
- At Jaytronixx, all devices pass a 22 point inspection to ensure they are in proper working and mint condition.
- All devices include a 90-day worry-free warranty, so if you decide you don’t like your device, you can bring it back.
- Jaytronixx gives you the ability to trade-in your old or broken devices for credit or cash.
- Genuine accessories are included with your purchase.
- Easy financing is available for our devices, often with $0 down and no credit check needed.
- All devices that are pre-owned are unlocked and ready to go.
Reasons you shouldn’t buy from Offer up, Facebook, or unreliable sources
- Do you know for certain the device you are buying doesn’t have hardware damage? Often times you are buying devices as-is. There is no guarantee that they aren’t broken or missing hardware.
- The device you are buying may have an outstanding balance owed to a carrier. This could result in the phone becoming blacklisted shortly after purchase. Blacklisting often renders the phone useless and results in you losing 100% of the money you just spent.
- There is a high possibility the device can be locked remotely after purchase.
- Another consideration to keep in mind is a potential safety issue if you are meeting strangers with cash.
With any electronic device purchase, make sure that you have done your homework and research all of the options. Do not be willing to compromise on quality and reputation just for getting a cheaper phone. Any device purchase, from a brand-new device to a pre-owned device is a big decision and requires a lot of consideration. Determine your absolute must-haves, weigh the pros and cons of cost, reliability, and then come see us at Jaytronixx in Highpoint or Greensboro! Search pre-owned electronics near you!